Bitter gourd - 2 -3 no
Onion - 1[medium size]
Ginger - 1/2 size crushed
Garlic - 3 pods crushed
Tamarind puree - 1 cup
Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Sambar powder - 2 teaspoon
Jaggery - 1 big piece
Sesame oil - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Dry red chilli
- Make puree with tamarind paste by soaking it in hot water & keep it aside.
- Add oil to the pan add mustard, methi seeds & chopped onions
- Add crushed garlic,ginger & fry for a while until raw smell goes .
- Then add cut bitter gourd pieces,fry until golden brown.
- Add tamarind,turmeric powder, sambar powder, chilli powder,water, salt & cook until gravy becomes thick.
- Add jaggery , sesame oil/ghee
- Adjust the salt and chilli powder to the taste.
- Serve hot with rice.
Note: cut the bitter gourd into round shape and remove the seeds and wash it in turmeric powder and salt and keep aside for 10 mins to reduce bitterness.